Fear Me Not (The EVE Chronicles Book 1) - Sara Wolf

I received a review copy of this book for my stop on the blog tour at Donnie Darko Girl

Fear Me Not is the first book I've read by Sara Wolf and was as fabulous as I've heard many readers describe her books to be. I'm drawn to YA stories with aliens though I haven't read many, and this story was entertaining and engaging - I flew through it in one sitting.

Victoria hates the aliens, who have been nicknamed "Gutters" since their source of food comes from human emotions collected in an organ implanted in, well, your gut. She's been implanted with one in exchange for money which will help improve her family's quality of life. Her mother died at a rally protesting the Gutters, and Victoria's hatred for the Gutters stems from her grief over losing her mother, which was understandable to me. I can't imagine how I would feel if aliens landed right here right now.

The way the government handles the precarious relationship between humans and Gutters was realistic in my opinion. I could just see the government jumping all over themselves trying to convince us these aliens are harmless when it would be impossible to know they can be trusted 100%. Even though it's been eleven years without attacks, I still would be leery.

I don't come across books too often with such beautiful writing. I don't know how else to describe it. The writing drew me in to the story, and I was so completely engrossed in what I was reading, I forgot they were words on a page. They became more than that to me; I was just that present in the story.

The interactions between Victoria and her Gutter partner, Shadus, were hilarious and snarky. It was rewarding to see their walls begin to crumble. I couldn't get over how much alike they were in terms of their being hostile towards the other race and knew they happened to be perfectly paired up to learn that you can't judge someone by what they look like or their race.

Fear Me Not leaves you with one hell of a cliffhanger, so be prepared for that. It was definitely worth the read for me, and I don't mind waiting for the next one. If the second book is anything like this one, it'll be well worth the wait.