Hive & Heist (The Hive Queen Saga) (Volume 2) - Janine A. Southard

I received a review copy for my stop on the blog tour at Donnie Darko Girl

Hive & Heist begins introducing a new character, Melissa, a sentient robot and an American Star Ranger (formerly known as the Texas Rangers). I didn't connect with her right away - she's all business and no nonsense, but she ended up growing on me.

I loved that the station Rhiannon and the Hive are at is called the John Wayne Station, and with the mention of the Texas Rangers, I felt like this was a wink at American history and pop culture. A wink I truly appreciated.

Rhiannon's Hive is still experiencing problems with acting as a cohesive group. The members still aren't coming together as she had hoped they would. I admire her determination to be the best Queen she can be and the leader they need, but that's also a lot of responsibility and pressure on her shoulders. She handles it much better than I could, and she's still my favorite character.

Victor is beginning to find his place within the Hive. In the first book he struggled with feeling in the way and of no help to anyone. After the events at the end of book one, he feels he's found his strength and where he can feel like he has a purpose. I can relate - if you don't feel like you're needed, it can depress you.

When I started reading about Victor and Lois, I became confused but soon remembered Gwyn's name is actually Lois. Rhiannon came up with the name Gwyn as a nickname that even Gwyn's own parents loved. I'd like to get to know Gwyn better beyond her close friendship with Rhiannon and relationship with Victor. It was just a bit disconcerting to read about "Lois" when I was used to the name "Gwyn."

Parts of the story dragged a bit for me, especially in the beginning, but the story soon picks up quite a bit and became action packed. I really love these characters, even if at times I don't think they're making good decisions or they're being abrasive with the other members of the group. I love spending time with them and really didn't want this book to end.