Wake Up! We're No Longer Dead: Book 2 of the Pre-Earth Series - Mindy Larson

I received a copy for an honest review for my stop on the blog tour at Donnie Darko Girl

In Wake Up! We're No Longer Dead, the story now focuses on Dominic and Hadley's daughter, Piper, and her Piper's soul mate, Aiden. One of the aspects I loved about this book is not only spending more time with characters I adore but also seeing them from a fresh perspective - Piper's. And I also was able to get to know Piper and see her in a new way as well.

Piper knows she's different from everyone on the Purple Planet (a place between life and death where everyone is dead), one example being that she moves more slowly and awkwardly. She's the only one alive on the planet. Once she's found by The Masters and sent back to Pre-Earth, there was a huge twist I never saw coming! It was brilliant and heightened the conflict of Piper and Aiden finding their way back to each other.

Aiden quickly realizes he's unable to make contact with Piper and takes an enormous risk in giving up his life on the Purple Planet to find her on Pre-Earth, knowing his memory would be erased and that he might not find her. His bravery and dedication to Piper endeared him to me. There's so much to love about this character.

I must say The Masters are so creepy! The idea of these higher beings in control of the living and the dead and where they end up is freaky. But their presence in this series brings up interesting questions - if you believe in a higher power, would you want that higher power to be human-like with compassion or to be omniscient and all-knowing? I think I'd prefer a higher being to be more human. The Masters are just too scary for me although I would like to better understand their decisions and reasoning.

Two new characters, Oliver and Hope, are introduced, and Oliver really got on my nerves which I know isn't fair. He doesn't know what's going on, but I still didn't like him. I felt like he wasn't trustworthy and kind of desperate. I just really wanted Piper and Aiden to find their way back to each other so badly, and I didn't want Oliver getting in the way of that. I loved the connection Piper and Hope had; they were able to relate on a deep level.

Wake Up! We're No Longer Dead takes you through many twists and turns. Logan, Emerson, and their daughter, Ruby, make appearances in this story from time to time. I LOVE Logan even though he's rough around the edges. He's so devoted to Emerson and Ruby - he's still a bad boy but has redeeming qualities. I had been looking forward to reading this book and am so excited with the surprises and direction it took that I couldn't have guessed in a million years. I'm looking forward to the next installment.