The Beginning of the End: Pre-Earth Prequel - Mindy Larson

I received a copy of this book for an honest review for my stop on the blog tour at Donnie Darko Girl

"The Beginning of the End" is a short novella that focuses on Emerson and Logan's relationship and the events take place before both This Morning I Woke Up Dead and Wake Up! We're No Longer Dead. Emerson, Logan, Hadley, and Dominic take turns narrating, and while I at first wondered why Hadley and Dominic were also narrating, it began to make sense while I was reading.

Larson takes us into what life was like for Emerson and Logan in their relationship and what it was like after Logan must leave Emerson behind. These are events touched on in the first book of the series, but their story is delved into more thoroughly with all of their emotions and thoughts involved. This novella satisfied my desire to know more about them.

I think the Masters are afraid of Hadley - she's so close to realizing everyone is already dead, and they weren't expecting her to finding out the truth so quickly. I was surprised to learn they feel caught off guard. They might be more human-like than I thought.

"The Beginning of the End" gives some insight into the perspective of the Masters, which I hadn't been given before. I know they're to remain mysterious which makes them more frightening, but I'd still like to know more about them and their thinking behind their rules and decisions.

Most of all, I was happy with "The Beginning of the End" to have been taken into Emerson and Logan's story as though I was there with them. It was heartbreaking to experience Emerson's devastation after losing Logan, especially with both of them keeping important secrets that they never got the chance to tell each other. Their story is so realistic and heartbreaking, and I'm looking forward to the continuation of their story.