Protostar - Braxton A. Cosby

I received a review copy of this book for my stop on the blog tour at Donnie Darko Girl

ProtoStar was an awesome way to spend time reading. I love sci-fi, especially in the Young Adult genre, and this is a book I recommend to fans of the genre as well as those looking to give it a try. The characters, the writing, and the plotting all came together and delivered a great story.

Sydney and her grandmother were two characters I adored. Their relationship was close and made me miss my own grandma. I liked the way Sydney's grandma was there for her but also stepped back enough to let Sydney live her life and make her own choices. She's the kind of parent to Sydney I strive to be to my own children.

The relationship blossoming between Sydney and William was one I found myself rooting for even though I knew he had come to Earth to kill her. It was also frustrating at times because Sydney seemed to give him the cold shoulder for little to no reason - many times over situations that were misinterpreted by her. I just wanted them together no matter what but realized it wasn't going to be easy for William make the decision between giving up his family and life as he knew it for Sydney or killing the girl he had come to have feelings for.

I would have liked to have seen more of what was happening back on William's home planet earlier in ProtoStar. I wanted more action in the second third of the book and think knowing more about William's home planet might have been able to add that to the story; however, I'm betting there were specific reasons why we don't know about everything that's going on.

There is a touch of Christian themes you can tell were threaded through the story with love, and though I don't go for Christian stories, this one was well worth the read. There was nothing extreme - it had a light presence.

The time allowed in ProtoStar for Sydney and William to get to know each other and for feelings to eventually emerge made the story for me. If we hadn't been given time to get to know them and for them to get to know each other, the story wouldn't have worked. There was a big twist I didn't see coming, and I was happily surprised and shocked at its cleverness. I could feel the tension ratcheting up in the last third of the novel as things began to fall in place and action was taken.

I'm looking forward to the next installment!