RecruitZ (Afterworld Series) - Karice Bolton

I received a copy for my stop on the blog tour at Donnie Darko Girl

I've been excited to read RecruitZ for quite a while - the minute I first heard about it last December as a matter of fact. From the cover alone, I knew Rebekah would be a bad ass character, and while she didn't start out that way, she grew into the role. Right away I liked her and related with her feelings of loss. RecruitZ isn't a typical zombie novel - it's so much more than that with a conspiracy that's as disturbing as it is compelling.

In a post-apocalyptic world where zombies are supposed to no longer be a threat according to the government, Rebekah helplessly watches zombies tear her husband apart and believes his death was planned and covered up. Her friends don't believe her when she tells them what she saw, and I don't think they wanted to either.

Not only is she reeling from her husband's violent death, but she also must be careful not to reveal too much to the wrong person. She could be turned in and never heard from again, but she can't rest until she knows the truth and sets out to search for it. On the surface is denial and a glowing positivism about life after the outbreak while underneath, the dark and seedy side of humanity thrives. It's this dark, seedy side that Rebekah must explore to find out what's really going on and to avenge her husband's death.

RecruitZ is full of twists and turns I never expected, and I love it when a book keeps me in suspense. Rebekah is a character I love because she's strong yet also has her vulnerable side. She decides to take her grief and do something proactive with it, and I admire that about her. I'm looking forward to what comes her way in the next book.