First Impression: A Shadow Maven Paranormal - Pauline Creeden

I received a copy of this book to review for my stop on the blog tour found at Donnie Darko Girl

First Impression is a layered mystery with the paranormal mixed in and characters I quickly became invested in. I was instantly hooked from the very beginning - there was no question I was going to love this book.

The story began with Chira showing Ben, a new transfer to her school, around. He's mysterious and doesn't speak much in the beginning while Chira finds herself attracted to him. Sometimes in books, the less a boy speaks, the more attractive he becomes to girls. I think Chira wanted to find out what he's all about - this boy who has an owl that apparently follows him wherever he goes.

Chira is an outcast at her school but has a loyal best friend, Tasha. Tasha is the one who comes up with the idea to meet the group of classmates at the old schoolhouse, reportedly haunted, to check it out as a possibility to hold a Halloween party there. I got the impression Tasha is a lot of fun to hang out with and probably talks Chira into going along with ideas like these often. I really loved Tasha and her family.

There's a definite creep factor in First Impression, subtle at first, that builds up over time. I couldn't stop myself from shivering when Chira and Tasha start investigating the old schoolhouse, especially because of the creepy old piano! Plus, it's October with Halloween looming on the horizon, a creepy time of year as it is.

First Impression was a quick read - I finished it in one sitting - and had mystery with a paranormal element, some romance, and likable characters. I only wish it had been a little longer. The next one can't come out quickly enough!