Across the Wire - Stella Telleria

I received a copy of this book for an honest review for my stop on the blog tour at Donnie Darko Girl

Ever think if women ruled the world it would be one big "Kumbaya?" Across the Wire gives a nightmarish look into one version of what that world could look like while also challenging the concepts of freedom and safety and what they really mean. I had a difficult time getting into the story at first - the beginning was a little slow for me - but once I began to see for myself what society was like in this parallel world, everything came alive vividly.

Mia, a former Marine, rescues a man being beaten in an alley. He is grateful and asks for her help. She thinks she's going to a third world country but instead finds herself in a parallel world where women rule over men as their slaves. She is asked to help train a group of men in self defense so they can begin to liberate men from slavery.

Mia was difficult for me to get to know. She has PTSD from serving in the military during war, which was one of the biggest reasons I wanted to read this book, but she was so closed off I didn't find out much about what she was like before the war. If I could have found out more about her, I think I would have been able to relate to her more.

Once Eben, one of the slaves toiling away in a mine, begins telling the story from his point-of-view, I saw a different side of Mia and was pulled into the story more fully. I got to know Eben and felt for him and his situation. There was something about Eben that brought out a softer side in Mia, and I hoped for Mia to find some peace and healing.

Across the Wire brought up a lot of questions about freedom and safety that had me thinking about those concepts in a new and different way. I love it when a book can do that for me, and these questions make me want to know what's going to happen next.