Broken Skies - Theresa Kay

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review for my stop on the blog tour at Donnie Darko Girl

Broken Skies was a double bonus for me combining two of my favorite genres, dystopian and science fiction, into a story that was entertaining and fun to read. Not only has society collapsed with most of the planet's population of human beings wiped out, but now there are aliens inhabiting a city they've taken over. No one knows much about the aliens but rather accepts their presence as more of a nuisance rather than a threat.

Jax (Jasmine) felt that way too until her brother, Jace, was taken by a trio of aliens. Jax intrigued me before I even began reading Broken Skies - I wanted to know more about her after finding out she had to kill two men. I knew she didn't have any other choice when she says she "went a little crazy" afterward. After their mother died and something happened to their father (they aren't sure what), it was just her and her brother for a long time until they moved to Bridgelake (formerly Virginia) under the leader Dane's protection.

Lir was entrancing from the beginning with something mysterious and attractive about him which always reels me in from the get go. I didn't quite trust him just as Jax didn't, but she didn't have any other choice than to journey with him to rescue her brother. Chances were good she wouldn't be able to get into the alien city without him, so making sure she went with him made sense to me. He made you want to believe in him and his intentions.

While I liked Jax for the most part, she sometimes annoyed me. I felt for her since she never got to know her mom, and she doesn't know what happened to her dad. I wished she had taken the opportunity to get to know more about Bridgelake because I wanted to know more about it. With Jax being the narrator, my knowledge was limited to what she knew, which wasn't much. I would've loved having Lir's point-of-view, too.

Broken Skies was intriguing and exciting, and I'm looking forward to the next installment. This ends with a bit of a cliffhanger, and I'm dying to know what happens next! If you'd like to see what happens when dystopian crosses with sci-fi, then pick up Broken Skies!