Psycho Inside Me - Bonnie R. Paulson

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review for my stop on the blog tour at Donnie Darko Girl

If Dexter were female and had a partner...

After reading the synopsis for this book, PSYCHO INSIDE ME, how could I not want to read it? I've never read a book like this before. Once finished, there was so much for me to process I needed time to think about everything that happened and what it all meant to me. I'm still not sure I can explain it all.

Cassie is almost raped right after her thirteenth birthday, and her friend Deegan stops it from happening. He's there when the would-be rapist is accidentally killed by Cassie and hides the body. And so they share this terrible secret. Every year, right after her birthday, Cassie puts herself in more and more danger to catch a rapist and kill him. And Deegan always happens by to help her out. Until he's caught, and Cassie has to decide what she's going to do.

I didn't understand the relationship between Deegan and Cassie. It sounded like they had grown up together but acted more like strangers when they were around each other. Cassie obviously had a crush on Deegan and hoped her feelings would be reciprocated, but Deegan told her they couldn't act like they were "together" or else they would be suspected in the murders. If they knew each other well, wouldn't it look more suspicious if they acted like they DIDN'T know each other? They ran together everyday, so I didn't understand his reasoning.

I understood what happened with the first death, and even the second death, but after that I started thinking about whether they were serving out justice or turning into the very monsters they hated. And although this is what I consider a dark contemporary novel, the science fiction part of me started wondering what if the consequences of their actions rippled into something worse than what they were trying to change? What if another fate had been in store for those rapists? It's a lot to process.

Definitely an interesting story, PSYCHO INSIDE ME will have you on your toes the entire time and will swiftly have you thinking about what constitutes right or wrong and what would you do if you thought you could get away with the very same thing.