The Darkest Part (Living Heartwood) - Trisha Wolfe

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review for my stop on the blog tour at Donnie Darko Girl

After hearing so many great things about Trisha Wolfe's novels, I jumped at the chance to read and review The Darkest Part. All the praise is well deserved - she's a tremendously talented author who makes writing look easy. I became so involved in Sam, Tyler, and Holden's story that I was able to escape my surroundings for a while. It was so easy for me to slip away into Trisha Wolfe's writing.

I've always been afraid of my soul becoming trapped because of either unfinished business or being unable to let go of loved ones left behind. I tend to think of things like this a lot, and whether any of us admit it out loud or to ourselves, I think all of us think about what comes after death. That's another large reason this book appealed to me and made me want to read it desperately.

What I'm even more afraid of besides my soul becoming trapped rather than moving on is thinking about someone I love not being able to cross over. So I identified with Sam and her crushing fear that Tyler's soul could end up earthbound or even swallowed by darkness, meaning he would have no memories of who he was in life and would not be able to cross over into the light. He would never be at rest. If I knew that was a possibility for someone I loved, then I'd do everything in my power to prevent that from happening, no matter how much it would hurt me.

The Darkest Part has such a powerful story line that it only makes sense it would need powerful characters. The thing about these three main characters - Sam, Tyler, and Holden - is that while I really love them and think they're great characters, they're real. They aren't just good or bad; they're both. They're multidimensional with faults and all, just like people in real life. For instance, I found out shitty things that Holden has done in his past to Sam, but I still found myself liking him because I had insight into his thoughts and behaviors.

Secrets start coming out of the woodwork - Sam and Holden have one from Tyler, while Tyler and Holden have one from Sam - and everything between these three people have been so tangled up for so long that what I thought was a straightforward love story at the beginning turns out to be much more complicated. Sam begins to discover there was a lot about Tyler and Holden's lives that they held back from her while growing up.

The Darkest Part is a powerful and moving novel written with a lot of heart. Definitely don't miss this one!

Source: http://donniedarkogirl.blogspot.com/2013/09/blog-tour-review-giveaway-darkest-part.html