The Vampire, the Hunter, and the Girl - Martin Lastrapes

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. My stop on the blog tour can be found at Donnie Darko Girl.

Initially, what really drew me to read The Vampire, the Hunter, and the Girl was Olivia's character as an aspiring author. Also using the names Adam and Jesus together made me think this novel would have something to say about religion, and I was interested to see if I was right.

These three characters - Olivia, Adam, and Jesus - cross paths and are brought together seemingly by chance. Lastrapes takes you into their pasts where you find out what they were like and how they came to be where they're at today. They're realistic characters, written into a gritty realistic world.

I really liked Olivia. She's the type of character I could see myself becoming friends with. I wasn't sure if I would like Adam, but I did. He's a super new vampire - he's only been one for thirty years, and as pointed out in the novel, that's a blink of the eye in terms of immortality. Jesus's character was striking, and he wasn't at all like I thought he would be. He's into wrestling, which I don't care about at all, but I was interested in his relationship with his mother and why he became a vampire hunter in the first place.

The choice of Adam and Jesus still strike me as interesting names to choose for characters. As characters in The Vampire, the Hunter, and the Girl, they aren't all good or all bad. They're flawed, and there is no clear "winner" to me because I liked them both.

I would have rated this novel 5 stars, but there were some choppy moments with a lot of flashbacks. Overall, The Vampire, the Hunter, and the Girl is a unique kind of love triangle that reminds me in some ways of one of my favorite TV show, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, where there's these interesting characters who have come together and the world isn't entirely safe. You have to be careful when you step out at night! This novel is definitely NOT Twilight, so no worries there. Pick up a copy and let Lastrapes bring you into the story of Olivia, Adam, and Jesus.