The Sham - Ellen Allen
I received a review copy of this book for my stop on the blog tour at Donnie Darko Girl.

The Sham will pull you in and won't let go until the very end. A tautly written mystery thriller, this novel kept me guessing until I didn't know which way was up and which was down. I wanted to know who Jack really was, who the murderer was, how many girls were going to end up dead before the killer was found, and how Emily was going to deal with all of it. Needless to say, this novel had me in knots with anticipation for the ending.

I'm completely stunned as to how this novel is Allen's debut - she writes with a fresh new voice and took on what I believe to be a difficult genre to write in. The story is dream-like where sometimes I wasn't sure if things were really happening or if there was another explanation. It's difficult to describe this book without giving anything away - the plot is so intricately woven that I have no idea if something that seems small and insignificant can actually turn out to be a key piece of evidence in the long run.

That's the beauty of this novel - I didn't know if clues being dropped in front of me were obvious answers to putting the puzzle together. The characters were described in a way to where I felt like while I knew them, I also didn't REALLY know them. I don't know what I would have done if faced with the same situation Emily found herself in the beginning - the situation that is the starting point for everything that comes after. While I wished she had done more, I can understand why she didn't.

The ending. Wow. I never saw it coming - completely shocking and it isn't often I can say that. While there are parts of The Sham that will definitely make you uneasy, this is a thriller that will have you breathless to find out what happens next. You really can't afford to miss out on this crazy ride of a reading experience.